Android 10 was announced last year in August. Since then many smartphones makers started pushing Android 10 to their devices. Last year all the Google Pixel devices received Android 10 immediately and then other manufacturers like OnePlus, Nokia, Xiaomi started pushing out the update.
OnePlus announced its roadmap to release Android 10 and after the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 6 series received the Android 10 update, the company has announced Android 10 for OnePlus 5/5T users, as promised.
Also Read: History of OnePlus and facts
OnePlus announced Android 10 Open Beta 1 for OnePlus and OnePlus 5T last night(April 26). If you are running on OxygenOS 9.0(stable) based on Android 9 Pie and want to upgrade to Android 10, you won’t lose any data. But, to be on the safer side just take a backup of all the data in your OnePlus 5 or 5T.
Anyone can try this build, but please keep in mind it won’t be available via OTA, you’ll have to download and install it manually for the first time. Once you install the Open Beta build, you’ll get OTA updates for the Open Beta builds.
Here is the official changelog of the Android 10 Beta 1 for OnePlus 5/5T
- Brand new UI design brings light and fluid experience
- Updated to Android 10
- Full-Screen Gesture (OP5T Only)
- Newly added Hidden Bar to allow left-right switches of recent apps
Here’s a guide on How to Install Android 10 on OnePlus 5/5T
Steps to Install Android 10 on OnePlus 5/5T
- Download the appropriate package for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T
- Open the File Manager and move the downloaded .zip package from the Downloads folder to the root directory.
- Go to Settings-> About Phone-> Tap 7 times on Build Number (to enable developer options)
- Settings-> Developer options-> Enable Advanced Reboot Option
- Now, hold the power button and select the Recovery option
- Navigate to Recovery option using volume and power button -> Choose English -> Install from Internal storage -> Select the downloaded zip file -> Select ‘Yes‘
- Wait until the installation is complete -> Reboot
- Wait for few minutes and your OnePlus 5/5T will boot up with Android 10.
After this process is complete, OnePlus will start sending out OpenBeta updates every couple of weeks and that will come as OTAs and you won’t need to do anything manually thereafter.
- This process doesn’t need your device to be rooted
- The warranty won’t void as this is an official beta update
- This is the first Android 10 build for OnePlus 5/5T and there will be few bugs
- Take a backup of your data before trying, though this process will not remove your data(just to be on the safer side)
- After installing Android 10 it is better to Factory Reset the device once and start using for better performance.
- Users who are still on OpenBeta builds for 5/5T can update to this build only via an update from recovery. For those, PLEASE NOTE, your entire data will be wiped.
Android 10 Features:
- Customization Settings including the lock screen, system, and 3 preset themes for you to choose from
- Smart Display in Ambient Display to view more information about music, weather, and calendar, depending on what makes more sense at that time
- Comprehensive Privacy Management provides users with total control over how apps have access to the “location” permission
- Master Your Notifications with Two Modes
In Android 10, you have two modes to choose from when receiving apps notifications:
- Important: notification will be received with sound or vibration
- Other: notification will be received without any sound or vibration, which keeps you focused
- Game Space to provide users with the smoothest experience of gaming
- Wi-Fi Sharing with QR scanner
You can contact us regarding any doubts about the installation process. We are not responsible in case you brick your phone. Do let us know your thoughts on this new update.